Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Faith Sharing Opportunities

I have heard over the years that waiters/waitresses do not enjoy working on Sunday's. The reason is not because it is Sunday and they want to go to church or have a day off. They don't want to work Sunday's because of those who eat on Sunday's. Yep, they don't like dealing with Christians who eat at their restaurants. Why is that? Well, I have heard there are three primary reasons. First, they let their kids be loud and obnoxious. Second, they complain and gripe about the food. Third, they don't tip very well. Ouch!!!

That's quite an indictment against us, but I would agree it is accurate from my outings with fellow friends after church on Sunday. I have been embarrassed when kids begin to act uncontrollably, and I have cringed inwardly when someone I was with began to abrasively complain about food to our waitress. To be completely honest, we don't eat out much on Sunday afternoons. We have never been able to afford taking a family of six out to eat every Sunday, and even if we could, we did not want to spend our money that way. By the way, I'm not saying it is wrong to take your family out to eat with friends every Sunday. It is a good thing, and even biblical, to share a meal with fellow believers. However, let me present to you that it can be an opportunity to both share and model your faith for someone who is not able to worship on a Sunday because they are busy serving. Most of those who wait on me when I go out to eat are trying to put themselves through college or working to help ends meet at home. Both of those are admirable.

Now, if you are not going to tip well then don't do this...haha. The reason is what you say and what you do will not agree. Oh by the way, leaving a witnessing tract is not a tip. It is an insult. So, what can you do? The first thing I do is make sure I get the waiters name and use it when talking with him. Secondly, after the person takes my order, I tell him we are going to say a prayer to bless our food. Then, I ask him if there is anything I can pray for him about. This is so simple, but it opens the door to have further conversation.

I remember being with staff members at lunch when we did this with our waitress. She was moved to tears and even came and sat with us while we ate. She was having a difficult time, and we were able to love on and minister to her. Shannon and I had dinner at a steak place about a year ago when we asked our waitress if we could pray for her. It was so cool that she shared with us how her and her husband were recently married, and he was about to be deployed. Normally, we pray as soon as we get the bread to snack on. However, she asked us to pray with her after she brought the food. I will never forget how she stood next to our table as we prayed for her. A simple meal can be used as an opportunity to share our faith, encourage a waitress, and bless those around us. Try it next time you go out eat.

In Christ,
Mark Smith, Pastor FBC Jacksonville, AR