Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Healthy Church

When I have ministry friends ask me how church is going, I always brag on our church and tell them how thankful we are to be at FBC. I tell people that we have a healthy church. Now, no church is perfect because every church has people in it, and people are sinful. However, I feel like we have a healthy church. After serving 20+ years in the ministry, I can tell when I am in a place of health or unhealthiness.

Why do I mention all of that? Well, first I am thankful to be here and to serve in a place where there is both joy and health. A person can show up on a Sunday morning and tell that we like each other. That sounds so simple, but I have been in fellowships where one group disliked another group and made sure people knew it. I have been in fellowships where individuals were always jockeying for power and position. Unfortunately, it created tension and turmoil. I served in a place where the pastor and worship pastor did not get along nor like one another. I served in another place where I was consistently gossiped about and rarely supported by the pastor. Honestly, "going to church" became a chore and burden. It was not a place I ran to where I would walk away encouraged and filled with joy. The second reason I mention this is that I read a blog earlier this year by Chuck Lawless titled, "10 Marks of a Happy Church." I hope you will read his article and ask a couple of questions. One, is this us? Two, what am I doing to help our church become this?

In Christ,
Mark Smith, Pastor FBC Jacksonville, AR